Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Development and Me

Walking home, this mountain makes an indelible mark in my mind, a parable for approaches to development - this ever enigmatic term that is constantly on the tips of too many tongues. But I'm guilty too, and the wisdom of this summit takes me on as an ignorant nubile, shedding light on the ever important idea of perspective. Walking, I think about the work I will be doing, and how to do to it best, learn all the time, and leave with lessons for myself and some sort of deliverable on the ground.

Through the haze of the clouds blowing over, many paths are visible. All eventually will get to the antenna at the peak. Some look more direct, some bend out of sight, others curve and curve and curve. Trucks roar by, cars zoom, the fastest two ways of getting to the top, traveling in an enclosed vessel, bullying people with your horn, blurring images in haste. Motorbikes are an option. Some speed, the air in your hair, things slow down and you get there. I e signed away my right to ride on a motorbike, but I have a feeling that I prefer walking. Each brick under my feet. Slower, yes, but ferns come into focus, I stop if I want, watch monkeys in the trees, squashed butterflies in the road, appreciate laborers as they haul stones on their back, people say hello, snippets of their conversations buzz - the importance of the details emerge, details that are only accessible on foot. Clouds come and go, unsure at times of where I've been, my goal not always in sight, the goal unsure, out of reach. But, I am in no rush. I am slowly progressing, sure of that, accompanied by peace of mind that I've done this journey well, appreciated the things around me, considered them, my body with my mind, understanding the process that begets the process. Though, at times, I may have had to go backwards to go forwards, I didn't drive, hurry, spending time with each pixel of the picture, not the easiest way or the fastest, but it feels right.

No comments: