Sunday, October 7, 2007

Lazy Eyes

It is fitting that this post sits below the excerpt above, the blurb that I wrote 4 years ago when I started this blog, thinking it clever then, liking its sentiments but not its word choices now, but still indicative of my mental achilles heel, something I know doesn’t actually set me apart, is not that big of a deal in the scheme of things, but feels so to me. New acquaintances find this out in the evenings when I switch from contacts to eyeglasses and feel self conscious. With my glasses on, I rarely look people right in the eyes or just don’t wear them around people I am just coming to know.

Wearing a patch as a little guy, bifocals, surgery in 8th grade, depth perception, lazy eye, the chiropractor, astigmatism, contact lenses, my eyes have always been something to deal with. As a result, it is something I notice.

Living here is the ultimate retort to questions about my coke bottle glasses, prescription or bad vision. The man at the internet cafĂ© and one of the unions leaders have the most pronounced lazy eyes but I seen them everywhere on people of all ages. My roomate’s is very subtle and is corrected by his eyeglasses. The little girl who lives on the corner turns her head to the right to look forward. The man at the internet tilts his chin down and looks up. Countless others

They can all see, but they can’t use their eyes together and their eyes are not straight. They will never be. I’ll take my thick glasses. Lucky me.

1 comment:

Vincent Davis said...

Having eye problems stinks, and eyeglasses are a bit difficult to manage. I thinking of getting glasses too. Good thing you were able to cope with using yours.